Skip to content

Category: Community

Posts about the Xojo Community, events and activities.

#JustCode Challenge Week 4 – Mini Golf ScoreKeeper

Sometimes the idea for a great little app comes down to solving a silly little problem.

Last month, the family went mini-golfing for my son’s birthday. It was a lovely course called Pirate’s Cove Adventure Golf right next to the ocean. But they didn’t have scoring stands and we had to use a tiny pencil on a little cardboard scorecard to keep score. So this week’s app is a simple iOS app track of mini-golf scores!

The iOS app has two screens. The main screen has a giant Table that lists all the 18 holes. You tab on the detail button for a row (it’s the “I” icon) to go to the scoring screen.

Comments closed

#JustCode Challenge Week 1 – Color Picker

It’s the first week of the Just Code challenge so I’m starting with something pretty simple. This app lets you choose a color using the system color picker and then shows you the color values in hexadecimal (useful for programming, HTML and CSS), RGB (red, green, blue), HSV (hue, saturation,value) and CMY (cyan, magenta, yellow).

Comments closed

Jump Right In! Just Code Challenge

I’m often asked by kids and adults how they can start coding and learn to make apps? You could start with the usual books or videos.

But maybe you want to jump right in. When I started programming that is exactly how I learned. I tried things to see what worked and what didn’t work. I also looked at and modified other programs I found.

You can learn to code if you just code.

Comments closed

Predicting the Future: Communication & Xojo’s Roadmap

If you spend enough time trying to predict the future, you learn that the more variables there are, the more difficult it becomes to determine a future. Take the weather for example. It’s not hard to predict tomorrow’s weather because there’s not much that will change over the next 12 hours or so. Try to predict the weather 7 days from now, 7 months or worse, 7 years from now, and your results will begin to vary dramatically.

This is certainly the case when it comes to writing apps. The bigger any one particular feature is, the more variables there are that affect it and thus the more difficult it becomes to predict how long it will take to finish. You don’t have to work in the software business very long to figure this out. Like most people in the software industry, we’ve been trying (with varying degrees of accuracy) to do this not just for our own internal planning but because we know you want, and need, to know as well.

Comments closed

2018 Xojo Design Award Winners

During his Keynote, Geoff announced the winners of the 2018 Xojo Design Awards, honoring excellence in software design in the following categories: Best Developer Tool, Best Specialty App, Best Consumer App, Best Mobile App, Best Utility App and Best Cross-Platform App.

These apps represent the creativity, flexibility and diversity in the Xojo Community – support this year’s winners and the whole Xojo community by sharing and reviewing their apps on social media and app stores!

This year’s winners are:

Comments closed

The Xojo Developer Conference just sold out, here’s how you can still join in…

Last week the 2018 Xojo Developer Conference sold out! We are very excited about the enthusiasm for this event, and for it being held in Denver. We received the most early registrations we have ever had for XDC, the final list includes attendees traveling from 12 countries. Registration for this year is higher than that of 2015 and 2016, and there is already a growing waiting list! You can be added to the waiting list here.

Even if you aren’t able to join us in Denver for XDC this year, there are still some ways you can stay in touch with attendees, hear major Xojo announcements and leverage the content from the conference.

Comments closed

Love it or Hate it, Networking is Necessary

So many of you in the Xojo community are independent developers and though you are smart for choosing Xojo for rapid, cross-platform development, you probably aren’t focused on marketing and promoting your app.

I’ve shared some tips on using Twitter to market you apps, and Dana has talked about other ways to market your app for free. These efforts do not live in a vacuum. Let’s discuss ways to integrate all these forms of marketing to make the greatest impact…let’s talk about Networking.

Comments closed